Switching from Windows 10 Home to Pro: why make the switch?
Windows 10 has taken the world by storm, becoming a benchmark for many PC users. Whether you are a professional, a student, or a casual user, you may be wondering about the advantages of upgrading from the Home version to Pro. This guide will walk you through the nuances, benefits, and step-by-step process for making this important transition.
Making the switch might seem daunting, but the pluses are many! Windows 10 Pro offers features that are missing in the Home version. Before you continue reading this guide, you should know that to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, you will need to purchase a specific license. You can buy it on offer on the Mr Key Shop, saving €103 off the MSRP, with the assurance that you have purchased a genuine product key to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
Upgrade Windows 10 Pro
Differences between Windows 10 Home and Pro
Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro is not just a matter of additional features, but represents a quantum leap for professionals, businesses or anyone seeking a higher level of security and advanced tools. Windows 10 Pro features BitLocker encryption, which helps protect sensitive data from possible external threats. This functionality protects both system and personal files. Although also available on Home, Windows Defender Antivirus on Pro has advanced features that offer additional protection against malicious software and phishing. If you are always on the go, the Remote Desktop feature found in the Pro version will be a godsend, allowing you to access your PC from anywhere, and the inclusion of Hyper-V, a virtualization technology, will allow you to create and run virtual machines. Windows 11 Pro also includes:
- Join a Domain: a feature that allows PCs to join a corporate network, facilitating device management in your organization.
- Group Policy Management: which allows administrators to decide which features are accessible to employees.
Finally, with Windows 10 Pro, you have greater flexibility when it comes to managing updates. You can defer updates, ensuring that they do not interfere with your workflow. It also comes with a full suite of business apps such as Business Store and Update for Business.
System requirements to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
Before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, ensure to check your PC’s system requirements.
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, or SoC.
- 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit
- 2GB for 64-bit
- Hard disk space:
- 16GB for a 32-bit OS
- 20GB for a 64-bit OS
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
- Display: 800 x 600.
- Internet connection: Essential for features such as Windows updates and initial installation, among others.
Additional requirements for some features:
- Microsoft account: Required for some features.
- DirectX 12: Requires a DirectX 12-compatible GPU.
- Wi-Fi Direct Printing: Requires a Wi-Fi Direct printer and a Wi-Fi Direct-compatible device.
- BitLocker: Requires a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 1.2, TPM 2.0 or a USB Flash Drive.
After Microsoft’s latest update release, Cortana on Windows 10 is no longer available; in its place will be integrated Copilot, the innovative artificial intelligence unveiled at the latest Microsoft Build 2023 event.
Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro: here’s how to do it
If you are considering the upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, there are some basic steps to follow.
After making sure your computer can handle the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro by meeting the minimum requirements and purchasing a license, you can begin the upgrade process. During installation, expect your system to reboot a few times. Before you start, it is a good idea to save any work in progress to avoid possible loss and make a full backup of your operating system and files. To do this, you can use reputable backup software such as AOMEI Backupper or EaseUS Todo Backup, which are easy to use but very powerful. Follow the instructions provided carefully, as there may be crucial steps. Here’s how to do it:
- Click the Settings icon in the Start menu or press WIN + I on the keyboard.
- In the Settings window, click “System.”
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of options and click “About”
- At the bottom of the window, you should see the item in blue “Change Product Key or Update your Edition of Windows.” Click on it.
- Click on “Change product key.” This will take you to a window where you can enter your new product key for Windows 10 Pro.
- Type or paste your new product key for Windows 10 Pro into the box provided and click “Next.”
- Windows will verify the product key and, if it is valid, will guide you through the upgrade process. A restart of your computer may be required.
- Once the upgrade is complete, you should now have Windows 10 Pro installed on your PC.
Once you have finished the upgrade, you need to make sure that Windows 10 Pro has been properly activated. You can do this by going to Settings, under the Update and Security section, and finally selecting Activation. From there, you can check the activation status.
With the upgrade complete, you will be free to experience and customize all the new features that Windows 10 Pro has to offer.
That said, you may encounter some problems during the upgrade process. If this happens, here are some tips:
- Make sure you have a stable Internet connection.
- Check the space on your hard disk. You may need to free up some space to complete the installation.
- If you get an error message, make a note of the code. This will help you in your search for solutions.
Error 0xc004f050 During Windows 10 Pro Activation
As we have already mentioned, if you have Windows 10 Home installed on your computer and wish to upgrade to the Pro version I would need a valid upgrade license. However, if instead of purchasing a valid key for the upgrade, you purchased a key intended only for the Pro version you might run into error 0xc004f050.
What to know before proceeding to troubleshoot the error:
- Incompatible versions: This solution is not applicable for N versions of Windows 10.
Upgrade Restrictions: You can upgrade from Windows 10 Home or Enterprise to Pro, but you cannot downgrade from Pro to Home or Enterprise.
How to Resolve Error 0xc004f050
Follow the Step-by-Step Instructions to Fix Error 0xc004f050:
- Access the settings: Go to Start > Settings > Update and Security > Activation.
- Start the upgrade process: Click “Go to store.” A new window will open, guiding you through the upgrade to the Pro version.
- Enter the code: Select the option “I have a product key for Windows 10 Pro,” below the purchase button. You will be prompted to enter your key.
- Disconnect from the Internet: Before entering any key, be sure to disconnect your PC from the Internet. This step is crucial.
- Use the generic key: Enter the Windows 10 Pro generic code: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T. This code is only for the upgrade and not for activation.
- Continue with the installation: Click “Next” and then “Start.” Once you reach 100% of the process, an error message may appear – this is normal.
- Reactivate the connection: After closing the error window, reactivate the Internet connection and check the connection through a browser.
- Reboot the system: Once you restart the computer, Windows will begin upgrading to the Pro version.
- Verify the version: Once the upgrades are complete, go back to Start > Settings > Update and Security > Activation. You will notice that the system now shows Windows 10 Pro, but it is not yet active.
- Final Activation: Click “Change Product Key” and enter the Windows 10 Pro product key you received. Complete the procedure by clicking on “Activate”.
By carefully following these steps, you should be able to overcome the 0xc004f050 error and enjoy the functionality of Windows 10 Pro. Always remember to check the compatibility of your license key before attempting any upgrade. If you purchased your product key from Mr Key Shop you can be sure that you have received a legitimate and 100% original key.
Upgrade Windows 10 Pro
Conclusions on upgrading to Windows 10 Pro
Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro can bring many benefits, especially for business users or those who need advanced features. By following this step-by-step guide, you will be able to upgrade smoothly and seamlessly. Always remember to back up your data before starting any upgrade process to prevent any loss.